PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ice Storm 2009

Monday the weatherman was calling for Arkansan's to have the worst ice (freeze) storm we have had in a number of years. For once the weatherman was dead on. I started Monday after hearing this by preparing for it. You know the last minute trip to the store to buy staples. Bread, milk and eggs. First off why do we do this? Is it born into us to drop everything and run off to purchase these things. As Mental Mama asked me via text "what are you having french toast that entire time?"

Then I started drawing up lots of water. In case our water pipes froze and we couldn't flush a toilet, or God forbid had no water for coffee. No computer from no electricity is bad enough without NOT having my morning coffee as well. I become one heck of a bitch then.

Then I started gathering all the candles I could find. This is not a hard task as I always have candles around here.

Once all this was done then the waiting game started. And we waited, and waited...................

Tuesday night I sat here at the computer late once again I hate not being able to sleep and it was like listening to a war going on outside. The snapping and popping of trees and tree limbs sounded like rapid gun fire. The transformers blowing all over town was even worse. Then total darkness.......................

I went to bed knowing we had no electricity and still hearing the sounds of snapping, popping and very loud breakage going on. With a prayer in my head that everyone was safe.

We awoke to this.............................

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was beautiful and deadly all at the same time. We had heat, we had a cook top, but we had no hot water, and no electricity. Which meant no computer. I thought I would go into withdrawals and damn near did.

11 comments:

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Holy Smoke! Ice anyone! At least you were warm! And now I know you are safe...get yourself a good book to read and you'll be ready if another storm hits!

Mental P Mama said...

Ice Ice Baby. Glad you are all okay. And, did you have any french toast?

Anonymous said...

I hate losing power!

Glad you made it through the storm! The pictures on the news made thing look pretty bad.

Stay warm!

Julie D said...

Oh, I feel your pain. Tomorrow's blog post shows a few scenes from our lovely 9" of snow/1" of ice day yesterday.

On a related note..I'm not on your blog list? I feel so left out! You're on mine. No pressure. LOL

Treasia Stepp said...

Noe Noe-I started reading the third book in the Twilight series. Now can't put it down. LOL.

MM-Never did have french toast. Scrambled eggs and toast yes.

Asthmagirl-I know the pics and conditions are horrible. So many still without power and heat.

Julie-Thanks for the reminder about my blog list. Ha. I haven't updated in awhile now. Now it's all taken care of. Looking forward to your post tomorrow.

Unknown said...

I am glad you are doing okay...LOVE the photo of the frozen holly berries!!! That should be your Christmas Card next year!!!

Love you..

Marlene

Anonymous said...

Wow, unbelievable pictures. Glad all is safe :)

Snooty Primadona said...

Yikes! Ice storms are the worst, aren't they? It really is creepy listenening to all the branches snapping in the the wind or just from weight.

I don't envy you, but I'll be thinking about you. Sounds like you've thought of everything.

We lost power for 10 hours one year on Christmas night. It sucked big ones. I had insomnia & had no electricity. I was actually forced to read!

GingerJar said...

Hi, I followed over from another blog. Somehow "Confession's of a Mid Life Trucker's Wife"...well it was intriguing. My mom is in Kentucky...near Louisville...and they have no power, no water, and no heat...well almost no heat. A friend loaned them a propane heater with 1/2 of a small tank of propane, which they are using sparingly as it seems it will be awhile before anybody down there gets any heat. My mom is handicapped and wheelchair bound, but her hubby is young and works (she was wild in the day...LOL) anyhow the neighbors cooked them food on the camp stove. At least when I was without electricity during Hurricane Dolly for a week, we could bath with cold water and we didn't have to worry about freezing to death.

Stay Warm!!!!!

Aleta said...

Wow ~ beautiful pictures, but you sure wrote it up sounding scary! I've heard the snapping sounds during a hurricane, but never for an ice storm. Thanks for sharing!

playsdolls said...

Cool pictures of the ice storm,but I know that it must have been scary,hope all gets back to normal soon.You sound like me whem it comes to the coffee.My husband says you do not want to be around me if I have no coffee in the A.M.I am a total grouch.