Welcome to all my friends and all the new followers I have to Frugal Friday this week. I really hope everyone is enjoying these posts as much as I am in posting them. It's my intent to inspire everyone to start living frugal and to cut corners where ever possible.
Since summer is getting closer and the weather is getting warmer each day I thought today we would look at ways in which to save money for vacations and entertainment. It's getting close to time that we all start thinking about getting out and having some fun. There are numerous ways to have fun with your spouse or family without breaking the bank to do so. Today I hope you learn some new ways to do that. 1. If you have something to celebrate then stay at home and prepare a celebratory dinner yourself. Make it a family function or have your spouse to help you in the kitchen. It should not all be your responsibility and be fun for both of you. Plus I think most women (myself included) like watching our men cook as we find it extremely sexy. Much like vacuuming!
2. Use your hotel points and airline miles for any vacations you are taking.
3. Do FREE things for entertainment. Like going hiking, playing board games, take in some free city concerts and the like. As a family we go camping in our own backyard. The kids love it. We set up the tent, start a bonfire and roast hot dogs and make smores. No phones, no cell phones and no TV.
4. Go to your local park and have a picnic together.
5. Search the web or make some calls and find out what days are free in your area to local museums, zoos or amusement parks. Even if it's just the kids getting in free or 1/2 price this will save you a bundle of money. 6. Contact your state tourism board and get a copy of the states tourism guide. You'll be surprised at how many festivals, concerts and amusements await you in your own backyard. You'll probably find lots within a day drive and back.
7. If you find yourself frequenting the same places over and over such as: zoos, amusement parks and the like then purchase season tickets. By doing this you get to have several mini-vacations instead of one large one. Our kids love doing this even more.
8. Entertain at home. Not only for adults but your kids as well. Have a buffet and wine night. Of course this is for adults. For kids nights have each child bring a pizza topping and let them make their own pizzas. You can do the same for taco's and such.
9. Exchange free babysitting with a friend. This gives you and your spouse/SO the chance to stay home and enjoy your home together. I know there are many nights I would just love the opportunity to be home alone with Trucker. No pressureof going anywhere but just reminded of what it was like before kids.
10. Invite a large group of family or friends over and make it a cookout. Have each guest bring a dish or special cookout item. Set up a volleyball net and have some play time while the cook is working the grill.
11. Cash in your points from your debit or credit card for traveling.
12. Plan your vacation early and start searching out Expedia and places of note like that for your vacation to be more frugal. Airlines, rental cars and motels can all be booked together to save money. 13. Think about investing in a time share with friends or family. Especially if you have one place in mind you travel or vacation to frequently.
14. If you know how to say NO then why not book a vacation around a timeshare meeting. For two years running I booked a vacation in Branson, MO for an all inclusive motel, tickets to local events, three days of tickets at amusement parks (2 of them), and meals by simply sitting through one 2 hour time share session. This may not be for everyone but it saved me a load of money that vacation. For only two hours of my time. 15. Take a weekend cruise. Many cruise lines offer very inexpensive three or four day cruises. Especially the last minute vacations. With a cruise everything is included.
I hope these tips will make for some great summer ideas for everyone. If anyone has any others to add please by all means do so. I would love to hear them myself.
This weeks giveaway is sponsored byKira at Galicia Aprons. She has some very lovely, cute and hip aprons at her Etsy store. She has cute styles and fabrics to choose from. All lovingly made and handcrafted. Aprons are making a wonderful comeback to our generation and others as well. Aprons were once depicted in TV shows like "Leave It To Beaver" with June Cleaver all decked out in a quaint dress, heels, pearls and her apron of course. Aprons serve a purpose to keep our clothing clean while cooking as well as clean while we are cleaning our house and home. But have you seen the aprons these days? They make a statement. While I seriously doubt anyone still wears them with their pearls and heels, aprons look adorable over jeans, skirts and shorts. It's like adding a new fashion accessory. There not what our grandma's used to wear!
This weeks lucky winner will get to choose an apron of their choice from Kira's Galicia Store. Yup, your choice of a cute little apron. This would make a wonderful little gift for yourself or with Mother's Day coming up would make a nice gift for your mother. Hey even your Mother in Law would enjoy one. Kira's aprons are all priced the same at an economical price of $24.00 and this is even a great buy for yourself.
To enter this giveaway all you have to do is visit Kira's Etsy store and tell me which one is your favorite. That's it, that's all there is to it. Now what's more simple than that?
If you would like to have some extra entries then you can do one or all of the following:
1. Add Kira to your favorites on Etsy. 2. Go and visit Kira's blog and subscribe to it here. 3. Follow Confession's on twitter and tweet this giveaway. This is good for one extra entry. Please leave the link. 4. Follow my blog. 5. Subscribe to my feed.
All of the above are each good for one additional entry into the giveaway. Leave me a separate comment for each thing you do.
For an additional five entries just add my frugal friday button to your blog and blog about this giveaway. For those five extra entries to count leave a comment five times letting me know you've done this.
If you don't have a blog then email five friends and add me on CC.
Giveaway ends on April 16, 2009 at 10:00 pm CST.
Good luck to each entrant and I hope you win. Thanks for taking part in Frugal Friday here at Confession's of a Mid Life Truckers Wife.
Welcome to "Stepp Into My World". I'm so happy that you stopped by for a visit and a glimpse into my World.
Over the years my world has changed many many times. Now I've reached that point in my life where I have found out who "I" really am. I invite you to come along for the ride with me. I love comments and hope you will take the time to leave me some. I will do my best to respond personally to each and everyone of them.